As ridiculous as it may sounds, Paris stirs up something magical inside of me – there is no other place I have visited that has the same effect on me, not even New York. I really hope to live there for a while at some point in my life. But enough about my dreams, here are my recommendations for anyone who is visiting Paris in the near future.
1) You need to go to Angelina, just outside the Louvre, and indulge in a pastry – or five. There is always a queue to sit down so I would suggest buying a pastry from their pastry bar section and taking it to eat in the park opposite the patisserie – in fact, I would suggest that even if there was no queue. Pastries to try are their famous mont blanc, the classic bourbon millefeuille and the sainte honoré.
2) Of course you will go to Notre Dame because it is exquisite, but do not miss out on a chapel that is just down the road from it – Saint Chapelle. The inside of this chapel can only be described as breathtaking. So, do yourself a favour. (pictures 8 and 14 below)
3) Walk up the Arc de Triomphe – yes it is an intense walk, but your butt will thank you later. And so will your eyes. The Eiffel Tower is such an iconic piece of Paris and I personally want to see it when looking from a bird’s eye view of the magical city. I have been up both the Eiffel Tower and the Arc de Triomphe and the view from the latter definitely trumps.
4) The view from the top of the Centre Pompidou is also one you don’t want to miss. It is spectacular. And, while you’re there, indulge in the largest collection of modern art in the world.
5) While I wouldn’t suggest going up the Eiffel Tower, I would suggest having a pancake underneath it – in the park just opposite the tower. It will be the best pancake you will ever have, and not because of the taste.
6) Eat french onion soup.