I came up with this recipe for my man’s birthday. His ultimate ice cream flavour is Häagen Dazs’ strawberry cheesecake ice cream. Since I love food, I thought I would give it a go myself and I hate to toot my own horn but, toot toot. This ice cream was connecting with some serious taste buds. My one problem when coming up with a recipe was my lacking in the ice cream maker department. So, if you too have no ice cream maker then this recipe was made for you.
- 8 tennis biscuits
- 3 tbs of butter, melted
- 400g strawberries (hauled and cut into quarters)
- 2 tbs of hot water
- 1/2 a cup of castor sugar
- The grind of one lemon
- The juice of one lemon
- 250g cream cheese
- 2l vanilla ice cream (the creamier in taste the better)
You are basically making a deconstructed strawberry cheesecake. Once all the elements are completed then they are added together.
- Set the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- In a bowl, crush the biscuits into small pieces.
- Add the melted butter and mix.
- Then add this mixture to a cake tin and bake this base for about 5-10 mins in the oven. Let it cool.
- Once cooled, break the base up into small pieces and set aside.
- Add the water and sugar to a pan on the stove on a medium-high heat.
- Once the rims of the pan start to form bubbles, add the strawberries.
- All the mixture to boil for bout 10 minutes.
- Take off the heat and let it cool.
Adding it All Together:
- In a large bowl, add the cream cheese and the ice cream. Mix well. If you have an electric mixer, use it!
- Add the lemon grind and the lemon juice and mix again.
- Add the biscuit base.
- Lastly, add the strawberry syrup.
- Once all is mixed together put the mixture into a container (or back into the ice cream container as I do) and let it freeze over night.