Merry Christmas to all who celebrate! It is said every year, but I don’t know how it could possibly be Christmas day already and soon it will be 2015. What. How. When.
This recipe was inspired by someone else’s recipe that I discovered on the web. The recipe was on Creme de La Crumb blog run by a lady called Tiffany. I am basically sharing her recipe but changed a few things and let me tell you, she knows what she is doing because these cupcakes are on another level of delicious. If you are trying to stay healthy, close this tab immediately.
- 1 and a half cups of self raising flour
- 2 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 300g of butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 a cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons syrup/honey
- 4 eggs
- 1 and a half teaspoons of vanilla essence
For the frosting:
- 100g cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons of heavy cream
- About 3 cups of powered sugar (I just add enough until I have a thick enough consistency to pipe the icing)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Line a muffin tin with cup cake holders or spray and cook or a bit of butter to ensure the cupcakes don’t stick. This recipe makes about 18.
- In a medium sized bowl add the flour, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix until all is combined. Leave to the side.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugars.
- Then beat in the syrup. Then one by one add the eggs and beat in each one by one. Lastly, beat in the vanilla essence.
- Add the flour to the butter-sugar mixture in three parts until all is combined.
- Fill each cup cake holder 3/4’s of the way and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Let the cupcakes cool for ten minutes inside the muffin tin. Then, take the cupcakes out and let them cool on a baking tray for a further 20 minutes.
- Once cooled start with the icing. In a large bowl add the cream cheese, the cream, the cinnamon and the vanilla essence and beat until smooth. Slowly add the icing sugar and mix. Keep adding until you get to the consistency you want.
- Add the icing to the cupcakes and take to a party because you cant eat all 18 by yourself.