In my home, most gatherings revolve around the sharing of food. I think this rings true for most families that celebrate Christmas, or any religious holiday, really. For the next seven days I will be posting one Christmas-inspired dessert recipe per day until the day when most of us finally and inevitably stuff our faces in a state of food utopia.
This recipe series was not an easy task – 7 desserts that had to be eaten in a short space of time. I say ‘had to’ because these are desserts and in all honesty, it would be pure sacrilege to waste.
The first recipe for this Seven days of Christmas-Inspired Dessert Recipes is Red Wine Poached Pears. I had never made this recipe myself before this, it was always something my mom made for my family and it was always something that made my taste buds sing. So, I thought I would start this 7 day countdown with a bit of an experiment. Lucky for us all, it worked and it is oh-so-tasty.
- 2 cups of dry red wine
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 2 medium size cinnamon sticks
- 1 split vanilla bean pod
- 8 peeled pears
- 500g cream cheese
- 4 tbs icing sugar
- In a medium saucepan, combine the wine, caster sugar, cinnamon sticks, vanilla beans and whole vanilla pod, on a medium heat.
- Stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Once dissolved, add the peeled pears and bring to a boil. Once the wine mixture has started boiling, reduce to a low heat.
- Let the pears simmer for about two hours, turning them regularly so that each side of each pear absorbs enough sauce.
- I let my pears sit in the pan with a lid on until they were served. In total they stayed in the sauce for close to three hours – this didn’t ruin them at all, it just made them super tender.
- 15 minutes before serving, remove the pears and bring the sauce to a boil. Cook the sauce for 10 minutes and then drizzle it over the pears.
- While you let the pears and sauce cool for a few minutes, place the cream cheese and icing sugar in a bowl and mix. Serve this with the pears and enjoy!